Monday, March 9, 2009

Life-changing prayer

I love my mom. We've done and been though a lot of things together over the years, and I count her as a friend as well as my mom. That being said, we don't always see eye-to-eye. Until recently, our arguments followed the same format: "I'm right because I'm your mother and you should listen to me".

As I was soaking in the Lord's presence one day, I realized that my prayers about my mom's attitude had changed mine. All the prayers I had sent up about her attitude towards Him and towards me had been replaced with a peace towards her. I realized that she didn't argue to cause me grief. She was trying to figure out where I was coming from, and how to make sense of our changing relationship. We had been joined at the hip for so long she felt left out of my new life. The Lord impressed upon me that since she is a social person, I needed to spend quality time with her and encourage her to talk about her feelings. He also showed me that this was not a new pattern: she had learned it from her mother. I've followed His advice, and have seen some breakthrough. I'm pushing for more, though. He can handle anything I throw at Him!

As I was meditating on this, a quote popped into my head by James Dillet Freeman:
"Sometimes, the answer to prayer is not that it changes life, but that it changes you".

I'm ready for more change. I want to live in His consistency and His ability. Heaven can come down and invade earth. I believe that we can actually live there, walking in step with what heaven is doing. Walking out heaven here on earth day-by-day. I'm happy just thinking about that! Prayer helps us accomplish that-it pushes and challenges, but it also changes for the better.

So go pray and see what the Lord does-the results will surprise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment