Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Saying Goodbye

It's always difficult to say goodbye to some one you love. We recently had to put our dog of nine years down because of cancer. My mother and I both knew it was time, but I suffered from second thoughts once it was done.

As I was soaking in the Lord that night, I saw our dog running and playing with a pack of other dogs. They were fetching what looked like a red rubber ball thrown by someone I couldn't quite see. Morgan looked wonderful-his reddish-gold coat shimmered in the sunlight, and he was having the best time. I walked a little closer, and saw that Jesus was throwing the ball for them.

He turned to me and smiled gently. "You did the right thing. He's okay now."

Sniffling, I replied, "I know. He's in the best place he could be. Forgive us for being so selfish, Lord. He needed to be with you." I marveled at how easily Morgan moved and how the tummy that was so distended by disease was now perfect. His muscles rippled as Jesus threw the ball again. Only this time, the dogs came to me instead. Kindly, Jesus offered me the ball. I could feel its weight in my hand as I tossed it into the air.

I was surprised to see our old dog, Bogey, standing next to Morgan. They seemed to have become best friends right away. Then Morgan caught my eye. We had a habit of looking into each other's eyes and communicating that way. Those amber-colored eyes regarded me so joyfully I started to sob. They told me that he was okay, that he didn't hurt anymore. Then I got a message from all of the dogs: "Throw the ball!!!!!"

I threw the ball for them, and as they ran away, I woke up from my dream.

The Lord is faithful to comfort those who ask. I always ask for a vision or dream. They are very vivid and sensory for me, and comfort me beyond my ability to understand. For all of us who have lost someone, we know that death has been swallowed up in victory. So just as we comforted, we are to comfort those who grieve. Though we may not know what to say or do, sometimes just being there is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment